Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Acupuncture on the NHS

I suppose I am lucky to be getting my second round of treatment in 18 months, however it can't be cost effective and it certainly isn't doing me the good it should be. The first 3 weeks of the cycle you get to go once a week. The effect seems to last about a week so the next treatment tops it up and the effect is maintained. After 3 weeks you leave it 2 weeks between treatments and for me the effect has worn off so the treatment is like the first time all over again. I tell the therapist this. She is concerned but can not do any more as this is all I am allowed. Now for the next couple of treatments I go every 4 weeks, again each time is like the first time again. Big effects, I feel quite ill for 48 hours then a lessening of symptoms for a few days then it's like the big switch off. Bang I'm back to square one. I stay there too.

Now my question is this, am I having the treatment to benefit me or to benefit the NHS?? Maybe I am just having it so that I can be a statistic of another person treated with a complementary therapy. Or rather, not treated in my case, as at the end of it all I have no sustained improvement. I was very sceptical initially but it must work as I get all these different effects. I just wish the system would allow me enough treatments to actually improve for good. That would be cost effective then as I would not need box loads of pain killers and other meds. Right now it costs for the treatment and it still costs for the pills.

No comments: