Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Drought regulations

Four weeks into the plaquenil experiment I have been for a liver scan. Routine tests had shown a raised liver function result. A retest showed it was back to normal but by then the treadmill was set in motion. An ultrasonic liver scan beckoned. I should have gone another day at 4.30pm. The instruction leaflet said to eat or drink nothing before the appointment. I phoned up and pointed out that I did not want to go all day without any medications; I asked if perhaps I could have one drink to take them with, "Oh no nothing at all." I changed the appointment to 8.30 this morning.

I awoke, uncharacteristically, with a raging headache, nausea and blurred vision. WH had to take me, as I was incapable of driving. The test went OK except for two things, an absence of hospital gowns: "We would normally ask you to remove your clothes and put a gown on. However as we have no gown could you please remove your clothes then put your jumper back on," and an over attention to the area where I have been nursing a broken rib since moving some furniture about 3 weeks ago. I gritted my teeth prompting the question of how much trouble I had been having with my 'tummy'.

"None at all" I replied to a puzzled expression.

After it was all over I asked why drinking was not allowed and was told it was because a drink will obscure the gall bladder which is one of the areas being studied. "Why do you ask?"
I said that I had been unable to take anything for the headache and also my other morning meds.

"Oh you can have sips of water for tablets, that's OK"

Well my question is this, why don't they tell you that on the leaflet? It would no doubt save a lot of discomfort.

No comments: