Tuesday, August 22, 2006

This week mostly

I'm reading.....

The Almond Blossom Appreciation Society, Chris Stewart's sequel to Driving Over Lemons and A Parrot in the Pepper Tree. This is a humerous look at life in the region of Las Alpujarras, south of Granada in Spain where his family have had a small farm for 20 odd years. Having relatives living in Tenerife whom I have visited several times I can appreciate some of the Spanish way of life and some of the strange things that happen there. I'm also addicted to all things Meditteranean so this satisfies that craving for this week too. Maybe one day I'll actually get to go and live somewhere like this. For now, I'm reading all about it !


I'm eating.....

runner beans straight from the garden. WH has a bumper crop this year and we are eating them until they come out of our ears. The best way, I am reliably informed, is cooked in boiling salted water until just tender, then served with a large quantity of butter on the top. I'm not to keen on butter and anyway having liver function tests weekly is not conducive to eating great amounts of animal fats. I love them just plain as they are. WH has had to resort to the cholesterol lowering spread to put on his. No wonder his cholesterol is off the scale.


I'm listening.....

to the silence. Our noisy neighbours are on holiday and it's so peaceful here it's like being on holiday myself. Just hoping they have gone for 2 weeks and not their customary one so we can make the most of the peace.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Runner beans are delicious Jas. We always called them "kidney beans" and my mother grew them.
In those days everyone ate what was in season and in the summer my mother used to say we were "living off the fat of the land".
Broad beans were another favourite of hers - served with bacon and parsley sauce !

V x