Tuesday, May 23, 2006

This week, mostly

I'm reading.....

Killing Helen by Sarah Challis.
Not her usual style and although set in a rural background, not really so 'grounded' in the countryside as some of her other books (eg On Dancing Hill). The cover note tells us that the author's father is a distnguised cinematographer. Why do we need to know that I wonder?
I have so far read about half and I'm not too sure if I am enjoying it or not. About an affair with a married man, the storyteller is in her late twenties, single and still has her head turned by a little forbidden excitement. Maybe at my age I'm just past all that!!

I'm listening.....

to the sound of raindrops on my windows. Devon apparently had 3 ins of rain since last Friday. Goodness knows we needed some for the gardens, but all in one go?

I'm watching.....

Misty and Nelson trying to catch moths under the streetlight out side my house. Their brother Toby from next door joins in and what takes place is like some crazy, under-choreographed ballet, the three of them charging round, then slowing down only to leap skyward as a moth is spotted. Misty's speciality is a back flip and stretching out with a right paw to swipe the unsuspecting creature from the air. Nelson looks on, then suddenly he spots one and tries too but being heavier he doesn't leap so far. Toby, much fluffier and bigger and heavier all round, tries to steal the grey's catch, a giant free for all scrap ensuing. This goes on for several hours each evening until finally about 2 am they return exhausted and thankfully sleep like babies until it's time to get up.

No comments: