Wednesday, May 03, 2006

This week, mostly

I'm watching.....

the leaf buds breaking on the huge oak trees opposite my house. This tree is also alive with birds, a nuthatch being the most recent resident. In a couple of weeks the view will be gone as the bare branches are covered with leaves.


I'm reading.....

Mediterannean Food by Elizabeth David. This is the first book in this edition and I am reading it to bring some warmth and sunshine into my life in preparation for the first of this year's trips to Greece in 3 weeks time. I know it was written in 1950 and most of the ingredients are now commonplace but the writing has a timeless quality and a simplicity that makes you want to rush out into the kitchen and just cook. The simple peasant dishes she describes are unchanged by the years and the Greek Fish Plaki for example is identical to that served in tavernas all over Greece today. I can smell it now.....


I'm wearing.....

my lovely Nike tennis shoes in girly pink leather. I never thought I would wear a trainer type shoe let alone one with a designer label but they are the most comfortable walking shoes I have ever had. Just the thing for arthritic feet. The soft bouncy soles take way that feeling of walking on pebbles and it feels almost normal. Sadly they are begining to age so I will have to investigate a replacement pair. I wonder what colour they are doing this year, purple perhaps?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember cooking from this book, Jas. Simple is often good. Isn't it odd that we can now get all these ingredients?

I am really missing you, Vicki, Helen and Di.

A Sad Suz

Unknown said...

Makes lovely pre-holiday reading!

Miss you too Suz, shame the group won't ever be the same again.

xx

Highlights from two years of blogging. said...

I have some fab red trainers Jas! :)

Hiya Suzle-- you got my email a few wks ago, right? Hope you're doing OK xxx

Unknown said...

I sent you emails as well Suz, ahve you changed your addy?

Di
RED ones?? now that's daring!

Highlights from two years of blogging. said...

c'est moi! ;) LOL xx

Anonymous said...

I just want Jas to adopt me, her cooking and garden sound heavenly.

Unknown said...

Might sound heavenly but bloody hard work!!!
Oh, OK then if you promise to help!!
xx