Monday, February 27, 2006

One week on

I have now taken 7 of the much heralded Plaquenil. The experience is interesting to say the least. I need to take them with a quantity of food. A snack will not do, neither will my customary lunch of vege soup. The nausea has been quite overwhelming. I am stuck in a routine now of taking them when I have my main meal, with the first mouthful or the effects of the food are negated. Some 30 minutes later my eyes start to blur and stay like that for a couple of hours. I was warned about this, so I hope it is but a transitory phase.

This morning I saw my GP, having been summoned at the end of last week to discuss a letter from the hospital. She had finally received permission to start me on this drug I am already taking and needed to test my eyes. I had assumed that the hospital letter was from the chap I had actually seen. Wrong. It was from the woman who I normally see, quite unaware that I had attended 10 days ago and been seen by someone else.

Finally, the consultant suggests I call to make an appointment to be monitored in four months time. That appointment was already made for me by the other chap, I go on July 6th. No wonder the NHS is short of money. I now have 2 consultants for the same speciality, each of them thinks that they are the only one!

No comments: