Saturday, September 06, 2008

Lyme rears its ugly head again

Borrelia burgdorferi, the bacteria responsible for Lyme Disease; Nature,
International Weekly Journal of Science


I stopped taking the antibiotics prescribed by my Lovely Lyme Doctor (LLD) 5 months ago. After the side effects (extreme photo-sensitivity) wore off I felt brilliant. This continued for the next 16 weeks or so. I have done so much this summer that I never even dreamed about.

Now I have to report that a few of the Lyme symptoms are creeping back, notably the Rheumatoid Arthritis which is making life somewhat difficult now. As always it's my hands which are affected worst; on waking every morning my right hand is locked solid and I have prise open my fingers one by one. My left hand is stiff and feels like wood like the right one but at least my fingers do open albeit somewhat painfully. On a bad day I am now unable to use my right hand for much for about 3 hours, having very little movement or indeed grip. Dressing is a pain and recently we have had to resort to WH dressing me, not least because the Depressed Painter has been in residence and he arrives at the unearthly hour of 7.40am; confronted by a partially dressed me, he would be twenty times more embarrassed than me so I HAVE to get dressed. Dancing at the Hayseeds gig the other night had the effect of making both my hands swell up to Michelin proportions after which I had no real movement and certainly no grip, good job then that it wasn't me who had to drive our little party home.

Luckily the crushing tiredness isn't there (touches wood frantically) but I've had the odd bit of peripheral neuropathy and the dreaded crawling sensation across my right shoulder blade. My weight loss has come to a halt too (at 19kg or 3 stones) it's proving almost impossible to get back on track and I so wanted to lose a further 6kg or so before Christmas making it 4 stones in twelve months. I already have my eye on Monsoon's window!

So all this leads me to the conclusion that I will have to start the treatment again, those Borrelia bugs must have come out of hiding in my nervous system and be multiplying again. Got to stop them in their tracks. To this end I am awaiting an appointment with the LLD which neatly leads me to my next revelation. It seems that WH may have Lyme Disease too. He is now in a worse physical state than me with all the symptoms I had at my worst and then some. He is extremely poorly right now and struggles to carry on working. He had an NHS Lyme test a couple of weeks ago and as yet we have no results. For the mean time his GP has referred him to the LLD too. A double appointment (and a big bill) beckons but it will be worth it. I am still overall fitter than I was for the last 16 years, I just hope and pray that WH can improve as much too.

No comments: