Friday, May 09, 2008

Headbanger

Sitting here the other day up to my eyes in paperwork for the end of the financial year I heard a strange sound. A bit like a spring or maybe it was feint knocking sound. Whatever, I couldn't find the source of it until I went outside later on and I heard it more clearly. A quick check on the internet proved without a doubt. It was the sound of a Greater Spotted Woodpecker and he has obviously set up home in the oaks opposite my house. He started drumming this morning just after dawn and has continued intermittently all day. Some times he sounds closer still, perhaps moving trees.

I've wasted hours looking for him and still can't see him it's really infuriating. It's good to hear though. I hope he does manage to attract a mate and then we might get the sight of the whole family later in the season.

You can see and hear one here, although he's picked an odd choice of tree to drum.

No comments: