Tuesday, July 22, 2014

A poem for Lyme

prompted by a website looking for Lyme themed poems I wrote this in five minutes flat this morning. Wish my brain worked better at other times and at more useful things!

Get up and work through it
you're not really ill.
If you say you can't work
well just take this pill.
It might make you happy
but it wont cure your woes.
Ok have this painkiller
for the pain in your toes.
Now you've got brain fog?
but not quite all day?
Your face droops? your neck hurts?
OK, have it your way!
Your tests are all negative.
Of course they are right.
What on earth do you mean
no-one understands your plight?
So twenty years later
at the end of your tether
You go surf the net
and find all together
a whole group of people who suffer like you
so you talk and you talk and they tell you what to do.
Ignore all the medics who keep ignoring you.
Then you have to self treat and you're on your last dime,
to pay for a genius who tells you it's LYME.
So you sigh with relief and cry tears, not of joy
but of years of frustration at our government's ploy
One day truth will out
and revenge will be sweet
but all I do now is constantly treat.
I've lost my career and my friends have all flown
but my knowledge of Lyme has most certainly grown.

No comments: